Friday, April 1, 2016

Tiny Dancer Goes Ice Skating: The Maiden Voyage of the Yamaha XT250: Part II

The Bridgestone TrailWing tires that come stock on the XT are a decent tire for combination riding; which makes sense since they are rated as a 50/50 tire.  Still, they were every bit as decent on pavement as the Avon Destanzias (80/20) I used to run on my DRZ400S... and I've scraped toe on that bike. The TWs also did remarkably well during my earlier jaunt in the foothills, so I have confidence that I will get a lot out of them.

The XT ferociously gripped even the most precarious of corners, I let out a few giddy yelps of happiness as I remembered what it felt like to be on a light, nimble dual sporty bike.  I have said it before and I will say it again, every rider should own one at least once.  These bikes are like the go-karts of motorcycles and they are an outright blast to ride. I am sure the WR250 might be a better option for those seeking a little more punch at the throttle, but I didn't really have much to complain about on a bike that is quite capable over covering all of the riding I needed it to do, brand new, with a 5 thousand dollar price tag out the door. Spending at least 1500 extra for only a few extra HP on a 250cc dual sport just didn't jive with my spending rationale.

My buddy and I both made decent time, cutting through the smooth stuff, even given all of the dirt that iced the surfaces of almost every apex.  We wound our way up the road until the two lane pavement started to diminish into eaten up one lane asphalt.  Around a few corners there were minor rock slides, more than a few trees had surrendered at the force of the mighty mountain winds and laid themselves to rest in the roadway.  My companion pulled away in the straights only to fall behind in the corners as my little XT gobbled up the obstacles that his heavier cruiser had a harder time overcoming.  Still, we moved along at a pretty brisk pace.  The close-ratio gearing of the XT is perfect for quick upshifts and downshifts without compromising any power at all.  The fifth gear is better suited for getting a little more out of the top end when still chasing the speed fix... or when traversing treacherous highways on commutes. Then again, all of that is to be expected on these bikes.

We rode a few miles up and then pulled over for a break.  My riding buddy was in need of a rest.  Understandable given the fact that I had been watching him slide all over the place in corners.  I suppose wrestling around that heavy beast does turn into a bit of a workout after a while (Tee-Hee!).


No comments:

Post a Comment