Monday, April 25, 2016

Babes In the Dirt 2: Gone With The Wind - Part I

If you haven't gathered by my previous posts, I tend to favor adventure.  I also suck pretty bad at riding in the dirt. So naturally, when I heard about the second coming of the annual Babes in the Dirt all-women's all-weekend extravaganza (that last part I threw in), I had to make arrangements to haul Tiny Dancer and myself 45 minutes up the mountain to Hungry Valley.  I mean, what could go wrong? However, as is typical for me, I kinda threw everything together at the last minute... in an epic wind-storm. It had been an otherwise beautiful Friday afternoon.  The sun was out, the breeze was cool and alluring, and the day seemed to mosey along at an excruciating crawl.  I sat at my cubicle, watching as every second lingered in the purgatory of time that only occurs when you've got shit planned... cool shit... debauchery kinda shit.  Somewhere around 3:30 I looked out a window and saw trees swaying and dust kicking up outside. Dafuq is this shit? I muttered inaudibly.  My phone buzzed, it was a text from my friend who was planning on joining in the fun: "Looks like some interesting weather is blowing in - it's all an adventure!"  I smiled. It usually goes this way, it's why they call me Murphy.

In the week leading up to the event, conversations had begun in a Facebook group where a few other gals had thrown around some ideas as far as what essential items would be needed, where we would be meeting up, and the other logistical nuggets that develop in any well planned adventure. Pretty much everyone had a french press, so coffee was covered.  Someone was bringing a stove, everyone was bringing beer and the food was covered.  I really had no idea what was in store, but I was jazzed about the opportunity to finally get my bike out into the dirt with a group of folks of like mind. I am really liking the XT250 and this would be our ultimate play date.

However, before I get too far ahead, lets set the scene a little.

The wind had blown up so much dirt that I could chew it, and I instantly started sneezing as we shoved the mighty XT into the back of the truck and strapped her in.  I had set aside everything I needed in a hurry, and in an even bigger hurry I threw it all into the truck without taking inventory.  I knew that some items would be forgotten but I didn't have a lot of time to double check and I hoped for the best.  Daylight was gonna be fading soon and I didn't want to be unloading and setting up camp in the dark.

By 6 we were on the road, my friend following closely behind in her car.  We made our way down the 99 corridor and I fought a cross wind practically the entire way up the mountain.


A quick stop in Frazier Park revealed that the wind had, indeed, carried some much cooler weather our way.  When I hopped out to grab some beer from the local liquor store, I was greeted with the brisk suckerpunch of Mother Nature saying "Happy Earth Day! I hope you brought your warm gear!" Indeed, she had won this round as I rummaged for the sweatshirt that I had tossed next to my pile before leaving the house only to realize that it was still right where I left it... on the couch.  Not at all where I needed it to be. I brushed it off, and made a mental note of piling on a few more layers when I got to the campground.  At least I was smart enough to pack 6 shirts, most of them long sleeved. As luck would have it, I would end up wearing most of them.  And a fleece sweatshirt that was on loan... and my summer jacket.

As we meandered our way to the campground thick clouds had crept in overhead. As we approached the campsite we were greeted by a chipper group of chicks that were already partaking in the free beer provided by Firestone.  We got to our camp site and got the bike unloaded, introduced ourselves to the two other friends who were there with my original planning buddy - Babe #2. As we sized up our section of the camp site, my friend offered up her tent as she inflated the air mattress in the back of her car. I brought a tent, but I wasn't entirely sure it was going to hold up against the wind, and I figured sleeping in the back of the truck would have been more comfortable than the uneven ground. I chuckled enviously as she fluffed her bedding and we popped the tent up in the back of the (boyfriend's) truck. It was a bit of a shit show in the wind, but we managed. We  settled in for what would become a long night of sleeping in a windstorm.

Still, there was something insanely awesome about it... at least that was my preliminary conclusion as I looked around at the hordes of babes who had gathered at the campground with their bikes and tents and riding buddies in tow.  At the very last minute, I caught a glimpse of the remnants of a beautiful sunset from between the clouds.  It was almost as though Mother Nature was imploring me to soak in the last of the sunlight, because she was about to unleash a cold vicious ass-beating-by-wind that would test the endurance of even the more seasoned of my camping companions. 





No comments:

Post a Comment