Monday, April 28, 2014

Vintage Racing: Revving Up History On the Big Track - Conclusion


There are just things about bikes and racing that make me smile when I am a part of it... even as I look back on my pictures from the day I think about how in our technologically advanced society, bikes have gotten so much more complex, so much more precise, so much faster and so much more powerful.  While I am not one to live in the past, as a motorcycle owner, I am glad to see these old bikes still running on a track, not being forgotten but instead finding their own place in the present, a place where cobwebs and retirement to the living room aren't yet a part of the plan; and where header pipes still burn and tick at the end of the day.

Maybe our culture isn't as disposable as it seems...


As the last race came to an end I gathered my camera in my backpack and fired up my bike. I smiled as I considered that my mighty ZX6R would one day (probably very soon ha ha) be holding her own in a vintage class as well.  I am continually impressed when I still see these B models at track days, but in amateur racing they are fewer and further between.  Not that that really means anything... an end of an era only marks a new beginning and life is full of opportunities to be alive.

Life Support  
I pulled out onto the highway and headed west toward the sunset.  The winds had picked up and the challenge had become to make the ride as comfortable as possible for the next 40 or so miles.  As I rested my chest on the gas tank and rolled on the throttle, I listened to the murmur of the motor and thought about how many times I had ridden through worse conditions just for the sake of going for a ride.  As the wind bullied me into a perpetual lean, and I gently resisted it's attempts to push me into the other lane, I cracked a smile. It ain't a ride if it's easy.

On the way down the mountain I passed truck after truck hauling trailers strapped down with bulky shiny Harley Davidsons; operators were scrambling to get ahold of, and secure their tie downs.  I couldn't help but chuckle at the irony: they sure don't make those bikes like they used to... (ha ha)

If you are interested in learning more about the American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association and Vintage Racing events in your area, I highly encourage you to visit their website here: http://dev.ahrma.org/.

And if you are interested in seeing more of my photos from the day's event, you can check out the album on Smugmug, here: http://theapexdream.smugmug.com/Sports/Willow-Springs-Vintage-Races/38813744_KjtVz4


No comments:

Post a Comment