Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A Little Bit About Dogs...

I have always been a firm believer in the fact that animals can improve the quality of life for their owners... under the right circumstances. Having a dog is a lot like choosing to adopt a child; they require time, attention, and money if you want them to be well-behaved and adjusted to life in your home. Not every dog is a good fit for every person so it's important to do your research and realistically assess what you have to offer before committing to bringing an animal into your home.  It is a major pet peeve (ha ha) of mine when people adopt animals without doing their research into the traits of the breed, or without looking at whether or not they can realistically invest the time and effort into being responsible pet owners; instead throwing their dog in the yard and letting it bark all night long, or allowing it to become an unsupervised destroyer of all things present... or worse, neglecting it altogether.  Animals don't get to choose their owners and it is a sad day when a dog is punished for his owners irresponsibility.  But I digress...

I have often considered that I may be on the inevitable path to curmudgeon-dom when I'd rather spend a Friday night curled up on the couch watching movies with the dog, than I would on an awkward date, or in an overcrowded bar. In fact, the only real complaint I have about my Friday nights with the dog is that she doesn't have thumbs and therefore can't play board games with me, or help me wrench on the bikes. Well... that and the blank expression she gives me when I try to engage her in conversations on social issues, ethics, philosophy, or bikes. But I've gotten the same look from many of my human counterparts as well so it certainly wouldn't be fair to hold that against the dog.

About a year ago I started seriously pursuing the quest of bringing a dog back into my life. I had been tossing it back and forth in my head for the better part of 6 months before that.  My ideal dog was an older female dog of mild temperament that was in need of re-homing because her family couldn't keep her or relocate with her. Preferably a mid-sized dog - even though I love big dogs, I didn't want to run the risk of having to keep a Great Dane or a Mastiff in an apartment if worst came to worst in life - you know like, if I had to... for some reason... kick my boyfriend out because he was lousy at paying rent and not being a complete prick ha ha. So there was this little dog... a puppy.  I didn't really want a puppy but for whatever reason we clicked and she became my forever friend.

The months that followed Piper's adoption went much more smoothly than I anticipated.  She was easy to house break, she was easy to crate train, she didn't whine a lot, she never barked, she was amicable under most circumstances; at track days, in the garage with the bikes, and even in the yard by herself.  Just about the only thing she didn't take to was riding on the bike... although, as I sit here reminiscing, I have to admit that she pretty much sucks at yard-obstacle courses too (ha ha).  To be fair, I haven't really tried that hard.  She has been quite the pivotal pal in many of my explorations and hard times and she has reinforced my belief that dogs are much more self-aware and intelligent than we give them credit for. Even in all of the commands that Piper has learned, she has picked up so much more in simple verbal and non-verbal cues, such as those that pertain to morality; right and wrong behavior.  She's a terrible liar.

Piper's reaction to being asked, "Did you steal?"
The fact that many humans don't care to really challenge or engage their dogs is in no way an indicator of a dog's capacity.  There are often times when I watch Piper assess a situation - such as when and how to approach the cat.  Or I watch her decide on whether or not a risk will be worth the reward - such as whether or not to run full speed in a drive-by tumbling with the cat as the cat saunters arrogantly around in the back yard (the cat does not appreciate this).  Most days she's a risk taker, a dog after my own heart but one who lives on the brink of uncontrollable excitement at the mere sight of her leash and harness. Many times I've wondered what the world looks like in her eyes, in her mind.  I wonder what she feels when she expresses shame. There are so many things we can learn from animals in the way of what to appreciate in life...

Of friends...  

Of new places and exploring...

Of the importance of hard work...


And love...

"I brought you this flower... but I kinda ate it."







No comments:

Post a Comment